Sunday 19 August 2007

João Vasco and Eduardo Jordão at the Crawford

Cork Orchestral Society presents… João Vasco (piano) and Eduardo Jordão (piano) 1:10pm August 16th 2007 Crawford Municipal Art Gallery, Cork There was a teensy mix-up with the programme and the first piece was left off so we were all under the impression that the concert opened with the Military Marche and were all clapping in between movements. This is all a preamble to say that if the notes here seem a bit confused, they are no more so than I was when my programme ended and the concert continued. It did help that I knew a couple of the pieces beforehand but that left me with a whole lot of untangling of the pieces which went before and, frankly, it was beyond me until some light was shed by the COS. I will therefore not be what you might call detailed in my feelings on the interpretation of the individual pieces. Instead this will be more an overall impression. At a piano gig or recital, you generally find yourself either able to see the hands or see the face(s). There are pros and cons to both views. This time I could see their faces and, believe you me, I felt a little bit sorry, throughout the performance, for those who could not. They were entertainment alone. I mean, forget the gorgeously expressed and controlled playing. There was a fabulous rapport between these two young men and there were lovely comedic touches, especially in Satie’s La Belle Excentrique (I’m pretty sure). They were fun to watch and pretty damn near flawless in their performance. I do hope these two come back for a repeat in the not too distant future. Programme: Mozart , W. A. Sonata in D Major K.381 Schubert, F. Military Marche op. 51 no1 & Characteristic March op. 121 no1 Satie, E. Trois Morceaux en Forme de Poire & Parade & La Belle Excentrique Can Can Grande Mondain Benjamin, A. Jamaican Rumba “Zez” Confrey Dizzy Fingers Joplin, S. Stoptime Rag Lamb, J. Champagne Rag Encore - Oh Danny Boy

2 comments:

nickibopp said...

Apologies to everyone for making such a bags of the programme notes - not least Joao and Eduardo (yes, Joao that's exactly why you heard a distinct rustling of papers around the room when the concert started).

I think the Satie one you were so taken with was Parade actually miss reviewer but for God's sake don't trust me on it of all people - I'm sure Eduardo or Joao will put us right before long.

-Shamefaced Nicki

Eduardo Jordão said...

Yes Nicki, it was Parade the piece with that "funny-wierd" performance.