Thursday 3 April 2008

Ham SandwicH

“Carry the Meek”

  • St. Christopher
  • Keepsake
  • Click…click…BOOM!!!
  • Never Talk
  • Words
  • Broken Glass
  • Sad Songs
  • Sleep
  • Ashes
  • Thru the Grass

Having reviewed their live show only a couple of weeks ago, I feel like I’m eighteen again, sitting the Matric. (ask your parents) and thinking to myself “Haven’t I just done this exam?” Well, in the second instalment of the continuing saga, I am pleased to say that they come off a lot better on vinyl (again, ask your parents) than they did in Cyprus Avenue, at least vocally. I have to admit though, and I know I am probably going to be in a very small minority here, but I don’t know where I am with Ham SandwicH. While I am reluctant to box things off or label extravagantly, they are neither here nor there for me. I love what they do harmonically and melodically. The double octave work between Ms Farrell & Mr McNamee is wonderful – powerful, attention-grabbing, distinctive. And the counter-melodies used are clever, relatively intricate and unusual for the modern band. But I find, once you get over the vocals, Ham SandwicH as a whole is washing over me without having much impact. Like I said, I’m probably not making myself popular here.

Carry the Meek is an excellent exponent of what it is to be Ham SandwicH and will doubtless delight fans everywhere. Click…click…BOOM!!! has a catching and clever hook. Their sound is driving, insistent, pounding and the lyrics are clever, intelligent. I don’t doubt that this will sell well and be a treasured part of many collections for some time to come…just not part of this reviewer’s. Mind you, I do really like Sad Songs

Ham SandwicH:

Niamh Farrell

Podge McNamee

Johnny Moore

Ollie Murphy

Darcy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love that album ^^
xo